Monday, September 13, 2010

Big Rocks

          I began my journey of motherhood just over 8 years ago.  Today, I continue on this journey and I realize that it is much more difficult than I ever imagined it to be. I realize that there are moments that I scream with excitement, cry with sorrow, smile with joy, pull out my hair with frustration and then there are those moments when it seems as though I can elicit all emotions at one time - talk about confusing. A few years ago while my church was participating in the 40 Days of Community campaign I encountered a devotion that led me to realize how much my words can influence the lives of those around me. As I read that devotion and began talking to God, I realized that at this point in my life, my words have the most influence on my children. My beautiful girls, Haley age 8, Aspen age 4 and Faith age 20 months, are young and innocent, desiring to learn and to model the behavior they see around them. The more I think about this, the more I realize just how much influence I have on them. Sadly enough, I also realize that this point in each of their young lives, I may have the most influence I will ever have in their lives; therefore, it is necessary for me to become a Mother of Meaning. I believe that a Mother of Meaning must say what she means, do what she says and believe in what she does.

I want to leave a lasting legacy, not of riches and worldly possessions, but a legacy that will carry my children to eternity. A legacy that will teach my children to love when they feel unloved, a legacy that will teach my children to stand up under adversity, to turn from evil and do good. This seems like such a large task at hand. I am not perfect yet I want to raise the perfect child. That's kind of like saying I don't do dishes or floors, but I want a clean house! I think what I am beginning to realize is that being a mom, isn't about being perfect or raising perfect children. Being a mom, is about letting the love of God fill you and move you in your daily life so much that your children will see His reflection each time they watch you do the dishes or put away the laundry.


           There is an illustration used by many about a speaker who took out a large wide mouth jar and placed several big rocks inside the jar and asked the class if the jar was full. The class concluded that the jar was full. The speaker then reached below and pulled out some smaller gravel and began to pour the smaller rocks into the jar, filling in the empty spaces. Once again he asked if the jar was full. Next he took out a bag of sand and filled in the remaining spaces asking again if the jar was full. Then he pulled out a pitcher of water and proceeded to pour the water into the jar until it reached the top. Now the jar was full. Many students believed that the point the speaker was trying to make was that there was always room to add more to a busy life; however, the speaker corrected the class. The point is that you must first put in your "big rocks" or you will never have room for them in your jar.

On my journey to becoming a M.O.M. I've got to make sure that my "big rocks" are in the jar first. In other words, my priorities and my values must be solid. If I fill my jar with the smaller grains of sand and water first I will have no room for the "big rocks" in my life. I've got to make my words match my actions and I've got to make my actions align with what I believe and that all starts in one place…at the feet of Jesus. In Proverbs chapter 31 we find the story of the wife of noble character. In the beginning of the chapter we learn of all the wonderful and prosperous things she accomplishes in her day. In verse 28 we learn that "her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her." But we can't stop there because if we do, we may miss the reason she is praised. This wife is not praised for her clean house, her lush vineyard or her financial successes. Look at verse 30, it reads, "Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." This wife of noble character is praised because she got the "big rock" in the jar first.

This world has so many things to "offer" our children. My goal on this journey to become a mother of meaning is to teach my children about the "big rocks" that God has already freely given to them. I want my children to realize that the best things in life are free. So please join me on my rock collecting journey…

No comments:

Post a Comment